19.1.11

Cream Biscuit - Bolachinha de Nata


I come from a Brazilian State named Minas Gerais. It is one of the major producer of coffee in Brazil and most of my relatives plant coffee. If you go to England, you will enjoy the tradition of having a cup of tea. But if you go to Minas Gerais, you will appreciate a delicious cup of coffee, made only with freshly harvested grains. This is an especial tradition that unites people around the table not only to drink coffee (which we prefer with milk, not cream), but also to have a “Quitanda”. “Quitanda” is a collection of divine treats like tapioca biscuit, polenta cake, Brazilian cheese bread and cream biscuit, which is my favorite and I will have the pleasure to share the recipe with you.


This recipe is in family for generations. I have great memories of my beloved grandma baking many biscuits in the firewood oven in the farm. But first, she boiled the fresh milk, which she got in the farm too, and then collected the fresh clotted cream formed on the surface after cooling it. That’s right, fresh clotted cream is the secret ingredient. My mother also usually made them as snacks for the break at school. My sister and I loved to help her. As we were not able to make a braid, we rolled like little shells. Our “shells” were a success in the school!

Many years later my husband, then boyfriend, ate for the first time the biscuit in my aunt’s house and he loved it! He ate so much that every time he comes back there, he is greeted with a lot of biscuits.

I made the cream biscuits for the first time by myself. I rolled them like my mother used to make, but also like the shells that I used to make when I was a child. This is a very easy recipe to prepare. If you don’t want to use clotted cream, you can substitute for butter or vegetable shortening. There is another ingredient in this recipe that is kind of different: ammonium carbonate. It is a classic leavener that makes extra-crisp texture. It has a very strong smell when baking, but it totally dissipates by the time the biscuits are done.

Here comes a tip for you: try to moist the biscuit on the coffee with milk before eating. I love to do this and it’s simply delicious. Enjoy it…



















Cream Biscuit

500g cream
4 eggs

13 teaspoons of sugar
2 tablespoons ammonium carbonate sifted
about 1Kg of all purpose flour



In a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, combine the cream, sugar and eggs. Beat until light and fluffy. Add the ammonium carbonate and stir. Then add all purpose flour until the point of rolling. Bake until golden on 360°F.



15 comments:

  1. Luciana, as fotos ficaram lindas e apetitosas! Adorei a história da familia e tradições de Minas Gerais! Bjo Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lu, Adorei!!!! deu muita saudades =(
    bjao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thiago Borges - the husband: a mais de 8 anos sendo abastecido com bolachinhas de nata em Campestre, e agora em Cleveland. Abasteça-se você também!
    Essas bolachinhas são sensacionais...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks lovely!! Perfectly braided, perfect for high tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they look just adorable! well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lu!! Que vontade de pular para dentro do computador!! Amei a história e as fotos estão divinas! Parabéns querida!

    beijão!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. an excellent recipe, very nice pictures and simply explains

    ReplyDelete
  8. Incredible! Congrats on sharing the Top 9 with me today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! Love the little knots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very delicious, I will definitely try sometime soon. I have included it in my blog with a picture, hope its OK with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous tradition! Fresh clotted cream. Yum. I just love creations as beautiful as this with an equally lovely family tale. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear all, thank you very much for your lovely words! You have no idea how them make me happy!
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Essa eu preciso tentar Lu, eu AMO biscoitos de nata, mas.......onde eu vou achar a nata aqui :(( se substituir a nata nao eh mais biscoito de nata, rsrs. Parabens querida, voce como sempre, ARRASANDO......Manu

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lu...eu nao sabia que voce tambem è brasileira, eu acabei de postar no meu facebook o teu post sobre a goiaba. Sou muito contente!!!
    Um beijao
    Lu

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...