26.9.11

Vanilla Cake with White Chocolate Raspberry Ganache Filling Covered with Dark Chocolate Ganache







Last week I showed you my first sugar flowers that I made with homemade fondant. Today, as I promised, I prepared a cake decorated with fondant and more flowers. This cake consists of vanilla base from the adorable blog Sweetapolita,  with white chocolate raspberry ganache filling and covered with dark chocolate ganache. Luscious! I’m proud to say that is the first time I made a good finish in a cake. Here it is, ready to be covered with fondant.




I covered the cake with the same homemade fondant as before, but this time I used gum paste to make the flowers. This paste is proper to make them. It is more elastic allowing shape thin petals like real ones. When I finished covering with fondant, I instantly got an idea to make some ruffles around the cake. I followed this great tutorial made by the talented Linda, of the blog Call me Cupcake. She was inspired by the amazing frilly cakes designed by Maggie Austin.








This cake is a way to wish a Happy Birthday to my lovely friends Clara, Alessandra and Biankita. 







Vanilla Cake with White Chocolate Raspberry Ganache Filling Covered with Dark Chocolate Ganache

Classic Vanilla Butter Cake
 (from Sweetapolita)

Yield: three 8-inch round cake layers
4 large eggs (separated)
3 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk (room temperature)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 350°F (180° C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter and flour three – 8 inch (20 cm) round cake pans. Line bottoms of pans with parchment paper and grease and flour parchment paper.
While eggs are still cold, separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic warp and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
In a mixing bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla and beat until combined.
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy.  Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over-mix the batter or it will deflate.
Divide the batter evenly between the three prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or back of a spoon. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan gently. Once the cakes of completely cooled, wrap in plastic and place the cake layers in the freezer for at least an hour (to make filling and frosting the cakes easier).


White chocolate and raspberry ganache

50 ml heavy cream
100g white chocolate
45g raspberries, coarsely chopped


Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate, stand until melted (5 minutes), stir until smooth and glossy. Refrigerate until firm yet still pliable (45 minutes-1 hour) then stir until smooth. Add raspberries, stir to form a ripple effect.
Note: If fresh raspberries are unavailable, substitute defrosted frozen raspberries

Dark Chocolate Ganache

18 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups heavy cream


Bring cream just to the boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat, add chocolate, stand until melted (5 minutes), stir until smooth and glossy. Refrigerate until firm yet still pliable (45 minutes-1 hour) then stir until smooth.

28 comments:

  1. I have just one word as I'm sitting here drooling: YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lu, amiga o bolo ficou perfeito! Parabens! Da peninha depois de tanto trabalho cortar, ne? Mas estava com uma cara de divino! Bjssss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. Just...wow. This is so gorgeous! I honestly don't think I could ever make anything like this (my skills are definitely more in cooking than baking). I love the flavor combination, the look, everything. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one perfectly gorgeous cake! WELL DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely beautiful cake! wish i could be eating it right now for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely breathtaking! This is probably the prettiest cake I have ever seen wow. I love how the frosting looks like frills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing. that's the only word i can use to describe this. you really do have a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful cake, I can imagine this must also taste as good as it looks. great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wowwww, you have a serious talent! This is plain beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely perfect and beautiful cake...!!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! I bet your friend was blown away by the beauty (and the taste) of this amazing cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!!! This cake looks amazing! I have made roses with fondant before, but these look so much more "real"! I have never used gum paste before! And those ruffles look so elegant! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is absolutely beautiful. I am a terrible icer and learning how to make and ice a decent cake is on my To Do list. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A truly stunning cake! Every detail is perfect...those roses are amazing!!! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a talent you are! This cake looks absolutely gorgeous =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely beautiful! I love the color you chose for the flower. Really shows it off. Such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is gorgeous, and beautifully photographed, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Luciana querida voce eh tao talentosa e sweet. Suas rosas estao perfeitas, seu bolo esta uma classe so. I absolutely love how everything looks. amazing photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Also, I have an award for you :-) It's waiting here: http://www.katherinemartinelli.com/blog/2011/tofu-satay-with-peanut-dipping-sauce/

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG! My jaw just dropped. I can't believe this thing exists - true beauty. Did you eat it??? Oh my goodness I won't be able to eat this beauty... You are one food blogger who knows how to prepare food to a perfection and takes beautiful photography. I'm speechless looking at these pictures Luciana!!! You should take over any bakery and start selling this. I'll be your #1 customer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow! Some talent you got, girl! Lovely! Love the roses! They were the reason I dropped out of a cake decoration class. Never was able to do a good one, got fed up and walked out :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am new to your blog and love it! This cake looks so amazing, and the roses look so real! Do you have any tips for fondant covered cakes? It seems like every cake that I put fondant on, the fondant rips and looks awful. Do you think its the recipe that I'm using or just me? :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is the most beautiful cake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  24. you are a wonderful photographer and your cakes are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...