19.9.11

My First Sugar Flowers





When I was thinking to start this blog, my lovely friends helped me to choose the name Lulu’s Sweet Secrets. I was mainly inspired and motivate by my friends Layla and Carol. They are cake designers passionate about their work and I was fascinated about their beautiful art. Some of my first posts I ventured to make recipes using marshmallow fondant. Carol suggested me this recipe from Le Cordon Bleu that she used before in one of her cakes. Unfortunately, I didn’t get the result that I was expecting and, for some reason that I can’t explain, I didn’t try it again. Maybe it’s because I was so excited to prepare different dishes and learn other techniques that I forgot to give it another chance.






But this week I was looking at my cake board on Pinterest and I noted that I’ve been collecting a lot of cake photos over these months. Most of them are beautifully decorated. As I love decorated cakes, I realized that I should give a second chance for the fondant. I decided to use the same recipe as before, but after reading this amazing post by Sommer from A Spicy Perspective, I could see what my mistake was. Marshmallow fondant needs a lot of shortening to work well. I follow her instructions and now I got a beautiful one. I was so happy! As a flower lover, I started making some modest little roses.






The fondant soft texture and its sweet smell give such a pleasure to model infinity forms. Work with it was an amazing experience. I modeled petal by petal for hours and I didn’t see the time passing. It made me remembered when I was a child and how I enjoy to play with dough. What a mixture of sweet memories and dreams! I think I'm addicted to it now. For the next week I will try to make these sugary flowers with a delicious cake for your delight my dear readers. 





Marshmallow Fondant


10 oz mini marshmallows

1/4 cup water

2 lbs of powdered sugar

2/3 cup shortening



Drizzle the water over the marshmallows and microwave 1 minute and 25 seconds. Transfer to a mixing bowl, and add 1 bag (2 lbs) of powdered sugar and 2 tbs shortening. With the paddle attachment, mix about 2 minutes. Finish on the table, use more powdered sugar if necessary. Wrap in plastic wrap or bag, and store at least 2 hours or overnight before using. Always knead fondant before using.


For a detailed recipe go to A Spicy Perspective post.

24 comments:

  1. Stunning! Good for you for picking it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my.... it is so beautiful! I wish I can do what you have achieved here. Absolutely gorgeous rose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos and that teacup are stunning! I love the little pink bow too, super adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos! I feel like I'm walking on clouds ... they're so light and airy. And I'm sure it tastes good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness..that look fantastic..and you say it is your first time..wowww you are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The white flower is gorgeous and putting it in the tea just made it so elegant, you should made little tea cup cakes with the flowers, I would be I don't have that kind of sculpting patience when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For a beginner, I must say that the roses are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing!! You are so talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats..... wonderful.

    ciao from italy

    Aria

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my :) the flowers look so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lulu, I found your blog on foodgawker, I love your roses so much that why I couldn't wait to try!!! I finally did!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your sugar flowers! They're beautiful. I even like the little bow. I remember my wedding cake had a lot of sugar flowers. My baker made then, not me. But these are much more soft-looking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful cupcake! you are great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. your flowers are so realistic! love the colors as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How gorgeous! They look so difficult to make

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...