14.7.11

My Birthday Cake



Hi everyone. Today is an important day for me. Today is my BIRTHDAY! We will celebrate together, my dear readers. I had a delicious cake recipe to share with you.




Every year I spend days think about my birthday cake, and this year couldn’t be different, especially now with my blog. Unlike my husband, who always chooses the same Domino cake each birthday, I decided to try different recipes. And this year, my inspiration will be some of flavors that I most like: brigadeiro, walnut, apricot and plum.

I created a walnut sponge cake filled with two layers. For the first one, I used walnut brigadeiro mixed with dried plum jam. The second filling is a combination of white brigadeiro and dried apricot jam. Each layer has a particularly color, which gave to the cake a beautiful look.








I have to confess that I have a huge admiration for decorated cakes with meringue buttercream. They are adorable. So, I decide to make for the first time a Swiss meringue buttercream. I even ventured making some ruffles too.

Everything worked deliciously well for this cake. I loved the combination between the brigadeiros and jams. I also spent an adorable time with my mom preparing the cake this morning. This gave me a such happiness that I can not imagine a better way to start this especial day.




My Birthday Cake


Sponge Cake

(makes 1 disc)

4 large eggs
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoon cake flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. With an electric mixer fitted with a wire whip, beat the eggs and the sugar on medium-high speed in a large mixing bowl until the mixture is pale yellow, thick, and tripled in volume, about 8 minutes.  Sift the flour into a small mixing bowl. Add half the flour mixture to the egg mixture and blend thoroughly until smooth. Repeat with the other half. Pour the cake batter into the pan, spreading it evenly. Bake until the cake springs back when touched, about 15 minutes. Cool for about 2 minutes, and then gently flip it out onto a large sheet of parchment paper. Let cool completely. To make the walnut sponge cake add 4 tablespoon of crushed walnuts to the sponge cake recipe.


Walnut Brigadeiro

1 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon unsweetened butter
4 tablespoon crushed walnuts


Pour the condensed milk into a medium saucepan and place over medium heat
Add the crushed walnuts and butter and keep stirring the mixture until it starts to show the bottom of the pan when you scrape it with a spoon. As you scrape the bottom of pan with the spoon, the mixture should be thick enough to show you the bottom the pan for a couple of seconds before the mixture levels out again.
Pour the mixture in a bowl and leave aside to cool.


Dried Plum Jam

10 oz. dried plums, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
water

In a sauce pan over medium heat boil the plums in water and sugar. Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon about 20 minutes or until jam consistency. Turn into a bowl and let cool before using.


White Brigadeiro

1 can sweetened condensed milk
4 egg yolks
1 can table cream

Pour the condensed milk into a medium saucepan and place over medium heat
Add the egg yolks and keep stirring the mixture until it starts to show the bottom of the pan when you scrape it with a spoon. As you scrape the bottom of pan with the spoon, the mixture should be thick enough to show you the bottom the pan for a couple of seconds before the mixture levels out again.
Pour the mixture in a bowl and leave aside to cool. When the Brigadeiro mixture is at room temperature, add the table cream and mix until combine. Place it in the fridge until decoration.


Dried Apricot Jam

10 oz. dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup sugar
water

In a sauce pan over medium heat boil the apricots in water and sugar. Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon about 20 minutes or until jam consistency. Turn into a bowl and let cool before using.


Apricot Swiss Merengue Buttercream
(from Sweetapolita)

5 large egg whites (30g each–total 150g)
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine granulated sugar
1 pound (4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, cut into cubes
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoon apricot jam

Wipe the bowl of an electric mixer with paper towel and vinegar, to remove any trace of grease. Add egg whites and sugar,  and simmer over a pot of water (not boiling), whisking constantly, until temperature reaches 140 degrees F, or if you don’t have a candy thermometer, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the egg whites are hot.
With whisk attachment of mixer, begin to whip until the mixture is thick, glossy, and cool. Switch over to paddle attachment and, while mixing on medium speed continously, add softened butter in chunks until incorporated, and mix until it has reached a silky smooth texture (if curdles, keep mixing and it will come back to smooth).  Add vanilla and salt, mix well. Add the apricot jam and mix well.

15 comments:

  1. Happy birthday. The cake sounds amazing, so many different components.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Happy Birthday!!! That cake is soo beautiful and looks delicious!! Hope you enjoy this fabulous day :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Luciana! This is gorgeous! I would have trouble cutting the cake...because they are soo beautiful and precious! Hope you are having a great day so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful cake!!!and I wish you ALL the BEST ...and happy birthday ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome cake-happy birthday! A very special day deserves a very special cake. May there be many more special days ahead for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, Happy Birthday! Very best wishes for your special day :)
    Second: WOW! This is one amazingly looking cake, and I soooo wish I could have a bite of this immediately, it must be so tasty. I love your flavor combinations too! Really nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! You have created a beautiful cake! I wish I could try a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Parabéns, luuuu.. guarda um pedaço pra mim!
    beijao!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday! Your cake is amazing! I've made Swiss Butter Cream - I know how temperamental it is to get right...beautiful - and not just the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! A little late, but full of good wishes.
    Your cake is gorgeous! I don't see many cakes with brigadeiro, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ai menina quanta lembranca boa do Brasillllll!!!! esse recheio de brigadeiro branco com nozes e o de ameixa tinha sempre la em casa. Que bom gosto no seu niver parabens super atrazados. Eu tava fora viajando, voltei semana passada e essa sua blog ta cada dia mais linda.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A little late, but full of good wishes...

    Your cake is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cake is really awesome and my two childrens love it. Thank you for recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Juliana, I'm so glad you liked the cake, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Next week my daughter have a B day and I will try to suprise her with this cake. Thanks for recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...