20.9.11

Chagrin Falls Farmer's Market and some Eggplant Recipes




Two weekends ago my husband and I went to Chagrin Falls, a very charm village 20 minutes from my home. This village grew around a pretty waterfall on the Chagrin River.





Besides this natural beauty, Chagrin Falls has an amazing Popcorn Shop, which sells candies and ice cream, and also a little wood gazebo on the main street. It does remind me the towns of my state in Brazil. Every small town there has a church and a gazebo in the main square.  The vintage shops are also a good option to visit too. I loved some of their vintage teacups and silver spoons.








I really enjoyed spending the morning there. But the main reason that took me to this lovely village was the farmer’s market. I’ve been thinking about to take outdoors pictures of a cozy place for a while, and that market was perfect! There were so many cute things to photograph, like flowers, apple and onion baskets, fresh corn stand and eggplants in blue baskets. I don’t know why, but there is something on these blue baskets that attract me. 













So guess what I got?  Eggplants in the blue baskets… I bought three kings of eggplants: mini, white and a purple long slender. I used the white eggplant to prepare lasagna. I combined pasta with layers of eggplant, Bolognese sauce, ricotta cheese and pecorino cheese. With the mini eggplants and the slender I made a preserve with olive oil, vinegar, garlic, olives, bay leaves and oregano. It is perfect with salads and bread.








Eggplant Lasagna
(adapted from the book Willians-Sonoma Cooking at Home)

Bolognese Sauce
(makes enough sauce for 1 lb (500g) pasta, 4-6 servings)

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 oz (60g) pancetta, diced
1/2 large yellow onion, chopped
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 large or 2 small celery stalks, diced
3/4 lb (375 gr) ground minced beef
1/2 cup (4 fl oz/125ml) dry white wine
1 1/2 cups (12 fl oz/360 ml) milk
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 can (15 oz/470 g) plum Roma tomatoes, finely chopped, with juice
salt

In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm the oil, butter, and pancetta, stirring occasionally, until the pancetta renders some of its fat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, and some celery and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beef, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, breaking up the meat    with the back of the wooden spoon, just until the meat is no longer pink, 3-5 minutes; do not allow to brown or harden.

Add the wine to the pan, raise the heat to medium, and simmer until the wine evaporates, 2-3 minutes. Add 3/4 cup (6 fl oz/180 ml) of the milk and the nutmeg and simmer until the milk is absorbed.

Add the tomatoes and season with salt. Bring to a simmer, cover partially , and adjust the heat to very low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, mellow, and tasty, about 4 hours, adding a little water if needed to keep the sauce from sticking. During the final 45 minutes, stir in the remaining 3/4 cup milk in 3 additions, allowing the sauce to absorb the milk before adding more. Taste and adjust the seasoning before serving.

2 eggplants
1/2 lb (250g) lasagna pasta
2 cups ricotta cheese
2 cups pecorino cheese

Combine the pasta with layers of eggplant (sliced, oiled, and baked at 400F/200C until golden), Bolognese Sauce, ricotta cheese,  and pecorino cheese. Baked at 375F/190C for 45-55 minutes.


Eggplant in Olive Oil

Mini Eggplants
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 cloves garlic
Salt
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons oregano
2 bay leaves


In large bowl, slice the eggplants. Place in colander, sprinkle with salt and layer between paper towels. After 2 hours wash and dry the eggplants. Slice the bell peppers. Oiled the eggplants and bell peppers. Let the peppers on top of eggplant. Drizzle with a little oil to avoid sticking to the bottom, cover with foil and and bake at 400F/200C until golden. After 40 minutes, remove the foil and let it wilt a bit to dry the water that forms. After 20 minutes, turn off the oven and set aside the eggplant. In a small saucepan, pour olive oil, oregano, bay leaf and vinegar. Let it boil for few minutes until the vinegar smell decrease (about 3 minutes). Mix crushed garlic with sat to the eggplant already cold.






17 comments:

  1. Very beautiful photos you have taken. I loves eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're pictures are stunning! And the food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little town and I love all of your pictures here... you have great eyes to capture moments with camera. Thanks for sharing - I really enjoyed them. Eggplant lasagna looks delicious! Something I always want to make but haven't actually tried yet. Keeping this recipe for this fall/winter trial! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pics, looks like a lovely place to visit. Farmer's markets are so much fun to go to! Your eggplant lasagna looks amazing- fresh ingredients does make all the difference. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great visit and your pictures are incredible! Thanks for sharing the eggplant lasagna - it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful photos you have taken! I love markets!!! They are always so colourful! :-)

    I love both recipes (eggplant is my favourite summer veggie!)... but that preserve looks AMAZING! MMMMMM :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a gorgeous area! And a fabulous farmers market. Well, you certainly used your beautiful eggplants well...the lasagna and preserves both look delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures.Makes me wanna go to the farmer's market this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning photos! And I love eggplant so will have to try these recipes. The lasagna looks to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! I'm going to have to try that eggplant lasagna ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luciana. I had so many good memories at Chagrin Falls taking my boys to the popcorn store. They love the ice cream there.
    Your photos are so beautiful. You truly showed this adorable village so well.
    I lived in Chardon for 3 years. Next time I am in OH (my husdand's family is there)I would love to meet you in person.
    Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe. I loved their farmer's market.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos!! And I love this recipe. Thanks for linking up at my pasta blog hop! Pinned :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...