18.8.12

Summer Cake



Dahlias used to be one of my favorite flowers when I was a little girl. The garden at my grandma’s farm were graced with their vibrant and perfectly symmetrical flowers. There were many kinds with different sizes, petal shapes and colors to my contentment. The ones with the yellow honeycomb style along with the ruby giant were my favorites.





Last week I found some pretty dahlias and instantly I had the idea to make one of them with sugar paste. With the prettiest memories of my childhood spent in my grandma’s garden, I conquered one more sugar flower: a sweet yellow honeycomb, built petal by petal.






This summer flower is a befitting decoration for a cake filled with delicious summer flavors: peaches and raspberries. This indulgent cake consists of layers of almond cake filled with peach compote and raspberry jam covered with crème fraîche whipped cream.







Summer Cake

(Inspired by the books Ripe:  A Cook in the Orchard by Nigel Slater and Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julie Child)

Almond Cake
Makes one 9-inch cake or three 4-inch mini cakes

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter (250g)
1 ¼ cups superfine sugar (250g)
2/3 cup whole almonds (75g)
3/8 cup all-purpose flour (50g)
3/8 cup potato starch (50g)
4 large eggs
Line the cake pan with parchment or wax paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
Place the almonds and potato starch in a food processor. Process until the almonds are finely ground. Sift the ground almonds with the flour together. Beat the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer until white and fluffy.
Add eggs to the butter and sugar mixture a little at a time, with the beater on low. Turn the machine off and add a third of the almond and flour, then turn the mixer on low until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Add the second and then the third batch of almonds and flour, switching the machine off each time. If you do this too quickly you end up with a heavy cake.
Using a rubber spatula, transfer the mixture to the lined cake pan and bake for thirty-five minutes. Rum a thin spatula around the edge of the pan, turn the cake out onto sugared wax paper, and leave to cool.

Peaches Compote

2 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons honey
1 vanilla been or 2 tablespoons vanilla paste
1 cup water

Simmer the water, honey, and vanilla paste or bean in the saucepan and stir for some minutes. Add the peaches to the simmering syrup. Bring again to the simmer until there are tender about 20 minutes. Add more water if necessary.


Raspberry Jam

1 cup raspberry
1 tablespoon kirsch
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup water

Bring all ingredients to a boil in a saucepan over moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes (jam will continue to thicken as it cools).

Crème Fraîche Whipped Cream

8 oz Crème Fraîche, cold
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Chill a mixing bowl and wire whisk in the freezer for 10 minutes before beginning. Beat crème fraîche and milk in the chilled bowl until it begins to foam and thicken up. Add the sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until the cream barely mounds. Do not overwhip.













33 comments:

  1. This is unbelievably beautiful. Did you just figure out how to make these on your own? I'd love some tips or a tutorial on the flower -- it's utter perfection =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Xiaolu! Yes, I figured out on my own. I will make a tutorial post soon.

      Delete
  2. Meu Deus! Que lindo Lu! Arrasou como sempre! Perfeito! Bjs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meu Deus!! Que lindo!! Arrasou como sempre! Ficou fantástico e perfeito!!! Bjs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I love your cake, I have not written you before, but I've read almost all the articles! Greetings and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm glad you like my cake! thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
  5. I have fallen in love with this sugar paste flower and, of course, with this delicious summer cake... spectacular!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing! Just like all the cakes that you are making!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Medeja! So happy to know you like my cakes!

      Delete
  7. Luciana!! que trabajo!!! felicitaciones... si me lo permites ya lo intentaré a ver que tal.
    Como siempre...genial, sabés que me gusta mucho tu trabajo asique felicidades!!
    Sencillo, limpio, puro...perfecto...
    Besotes, Diana.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Diana!Fico muito feliz com teu comentario!
      Besotes

      Delete
  8. Amazing! I fall in love with the flower! You are such an artist! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! it looks mouth watering and love the flavor combination. the flower is just STUNNING..
    AB

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely stunning cake!!! I could have sworn that the flower decoration was a real flower. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for the comment!

      Delete
  11. this is gorgeous! i didn't even realise it wasn't a real flower until you said so. you're very talented :) - helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh. Your cake looks simply divine, like a piece of art. It just looks too good to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This cake is so impressive! You're very talented and have quite an eye for beauty! Not only does your cake look and sound delicious with the peach compote but it presents in such a lovely way. Glad to have found your site and am looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Luciana! This has to be one of your most ambitious and successful creations to date! Incredible detail on your dahlia and sooo perfect with the sunset colors of the real flowers. Just stunning! And I might add I seriously love that dark teal backdrop. Why can I never find such great sets? :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an amazing flower - a work of art. I thought it was real.

    And the cake looks fantastic too. Those layers of peach compote and raspberry jam look so luscious! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your creations never cease to amaze me!! I thought it was a real flower until I read the rest of the post. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous work! This would be so lovely at a summer or spring bridal shower!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Que elegantes as suas fotos, Lulu! =) O bolo ficou lindíssimo, essa flor natural faz-lhe muito charmoso! =)
    Adorei a receita e a decoração! Obrigada! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is quite possibly the most beautiful cake I have ever seen. I'm just in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is truly the most beautiful cake I have ever seen. I am just in awe. Thank you for posting your lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW!! I seriously thought that was a real flower decorating the cake until I read it was a sugar flower. Absolutely stunning and amazing work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi there, just wondering about the creme fraiche whipped cream. I know that stores sell creme fraiche, but your icing only has normal cream in it? Am i missing something? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks so much for your comment! The correct is creme fraiche.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...