29.8.11

Banana Waffles with Strawberry-Maple Syrup


Isn't it funny when you think that you made a different recipe and then you see how common it is? This Sunday my husband and I prepared a banana waffles with fresh strawberry-maple syrup. While I was writing this post I saw that this is a common combination for a waffle.

Unfortunately, waffles are not so popular in my country, so since we moved to US, we chose Sunday breakfast to be the waffle time. It has been a delightful habit on our Sunday mornings. Over the weekends we tried to use different ingredients like tapioca, corn and rice flour or raisins and fruits. Yesterday he asked me if putting some bananas would be a good idea. I said yes! Then I saw the strawberries and asked him if strawberry-maple syrup would be a good idea for the top. He said great!

So my husband prepared a basic waffle recipe and then added a very ripe banana to the mixture. I made strawberry-maple syrup using some fresh strawberries and a lot o maple syrup. The result was very similar with a compote. I know that it’s a common combination, but everything works so well that I had to share with you. I hope you enjoy it!




Banana Waffles with Strawberry-Maple Syrup
(makes 4 6-1/2-inch round waffles)

1 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 cup reduced fat milk
1 ripe banana, mashed

Place ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine until well blended and smooth. Let batter sit 5 minutes before using. Preheat your waffle making according to its instructions. 

Pour 1/2 cup batter onto the center of the lower grid; spread using a heat-proof spatula. Cook until the timer goes off.


Strawberry-Maple Syrup


3/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup quartered fresh strawberries

Combine maple syrup and strawberries in a small saucepan. Cook syrup mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve immediately.





6 comments:

  1. Well done Titi and Lulu!! Perfeito para um lanche da tarde, da noite, da madrugada....rsrsrsr!! Bjsss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made banana pancakes for sunday breakfast. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loves waffles! Thanks for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que delícia de cafe da manhã, hein? Se você não morasse tão longe eu ia me convidar para ir aí aos domingos!! rs! Olha que coincidência: fiz panquecas esse domingo e eu queria fazer uma calda de blueberry com maple (vi no programa da Nigella), mas como eu não tinha maple fiz com mel e um pouquinho de água, ficou uma delícia! Bjos Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I like waffles and your Sunday tradition is lovely. Sunday, my hubby and I go out to breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't had waffles for quite some time and I'm craving for this. Probably next weekend...Hope I can wait...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...