23.8.11

Pêches Cardinal

Last weekend I visited a fruit farm to pick up some peaches. It’s simply beautiful. I don’t know if I admired the pretty ripe peaches or took pictures. Do you believe that we spent about one hour and a half to pick up 16 peaches? Picking up a fruit directly from the tree is an amazing experience. You should visit a place like that! Bring your kids to play with you too. I’m sure they will enjoy it. Maybe they can have a small surprise and find a ladybird, as I did.










While I was picking the peaches and taking pictures, I was thinking about that I should prepare something that I’ve never tasted before. So when I came back to my house I looked for a recipe on my books and then I read the peach cardinal recipe from Julia Child’s book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. This dessert is a combination of peach compote with raspberry purée. It’s so simple, but at the same time so luscious.






I can’t resist a compote recipe. I grew up looking my mother making all kinds of compotes. Isn’t it good when we can prepare something that can bring back the memories of your childhood? I was glad that I could have this feeling once again.






Pêches Cardinal - Compote of Fresh Peaches with Raspberry Pureé
(from Mastering the Art of French Cooking)

For 10 people

6 cups water
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 Tb vanilla extract or a vanilla beam
A 12-inch saucepan
10 firm, ripe, umblemished, fresh peaches about 2 1/2 inches in diameter
A slotted spoon
A cake rack
A serving dish 2 inches deep

1quart fresh raspberries, and 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
or 1 1/2 lbs. frozen raspberries, thawed and well drained, and 2/3 cup sugar
An electric blender (or electric beater)
optional: fresh mint leaves


Simmer the water, sugar, and vanilla extract or bean in the saucepan and stir sugar has dissolved.

Add the unpeeled peaches to the simmering syrup. Bring again to the simmer, then maintain at just below the simmer for 8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and let peaches cool  in syrup for 20 minutes. Drain peaches on rack; peel while still warm, and arrange in serving dish. Chill.

Force the raspberries through a sieve and place the pureé in the jar of an electric blender along with the sugar. cover and blend a top speed for 2 to 3 minutes, or until pureé is thick and sugar has dissolved completely. Chill. (Or beat pureé and sugar for about 10 minutes with an electric beater.)

When both pureé and peaches are chilled, pour the pureé over the peaches and return to refrigerator until serving time. Decorate with optional fersh mint leaves.

12 comments:

  1. Oi Luciana! As fotos estão demais, quase deu para sentir o cheirinho do pêssego! As cores ficaram lindas e com certeza o gosto melhor ainda! Beijos Luisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi Luiza! obrigada, fico tão feliz que tenha gostado!
    muitos beijinhos queridaaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures and decadent looking recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudie! Thanks so much for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lu!! lindo demais! onde é isso?
    beijao

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oi Lu! obrigada! É a mesma fazenda das maçãs e abóboras que fui o ano passado, lembra? beijinhosss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning...the pictures, the recipe...everything! Absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nossa Lú, até a joaninha você pegou, que demais!! Bjsssss

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photography, Luciana! Beautiful and I truly enjoyed looking at each single photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So stunning pictures!!!I love photo with ladybird:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...